How to choose which dahlias to grow
With over 57,000 commercial dahlias to choose from, it is a daunting task to know how to select a number of these magnificent plants to grow. One thing’s for sure – you will most certainly be spoiled for choice.
So, how does anyone go about choosing from such a wide selection? Here are a few tips to help you on your way to dahlia growing success.
1. Firstly, make sure that you have an area in mind where you’d like to grow your dahlias. Once you know this, you can look for blooms that will suit that position in the garden.
2. Next, ask yourself whether you’d like dahlias to be used as a bedding plant or a specimen type feature. Dahlias can feature in either scenario.
3. How much space do you have? Remember, some dahlias need plenty of room as they can become quite tall and bushy.
4. What colour are you hoping for? Dahlias come in a mesmerising array of vibrant and also more muted colours, so you will be certainly be able to find the right shade to complement your other plants.
5. Ask around and do lots of research before you buy. Look at other gardens, visit local garden centres and ask your gardening neighbours about what works best for your type of soil and climate. Some dahlias will have been bred to cope better in colder climates than others, so check the information labels before you make your final decision.